The minimum wage for garment factory workers in Bangladesh, was raised by 51% in December 2018. You may read this and consider it a huge win, a giant success, and complete accomplishment for Bangladeshi garment workers. Sure, it’s a huge step in the right direction, but rather than leap for joy, we’re unimpressed.Read More
The average woman wears only 33% of her wardrobe. Dwell on this for a second or two. It’s crazy right? Why the heck does the other 67% exist? Unfortunately, we’ve been trained to think of fashion like a disposable skin that we can oh so easily strip off, and replace when we are bored. Heck, if a shirt is the price of a coffee, why wouldn’t you buy it in 7 different colours, wear only two of them, and then go back to the mall the very next week looking for something different?Read More
Meet Harriet Spark, a graphic designer, videographer and environmentalist who ran one of the biggest ocean cleanup movements in Australia.
She runs a design agency called Grumpy Turtle Design and is passionate about designing for change, specifically in our habits that impact the ocean. She started running an event every week in …Read More
Stuff is suffocating. It creeps into our lives unsuspectedly, fills our cupboards, and clouds our minds. The more stuff we have, the more time we spend cleaning, repairing, moving, and maintaining it. Batteries, buttons, laces: they all need to be considered and replaced, and that takes time and mental energy. The more time and energy you spend maintaining stuff, the less time …Read More
Today, Ethical Made Easy turns two. Truth be told, I can’t quite believe it. I was 21 back then, and like most 21 year olds, I loved to consume. I started Ethical Made Easy as a way to hold myself accountable to my consumer decisions; a platform to document my ‘green’ changes and …Read More
It’s Christmas Day… The table is set- there’s plastic red and green straws. The tree is lit- there’s tinsel all around it. The presents are wrapped- there are 89 of them. The rubbish bin is full- it’s not even midday yet. An eco-Christmas may sound far fetched, ridiculous even …Read More
“You’ll be so proud of me, I just dropped off four bags full of clothes to the op shop!” She says, as she grabs another skirt off the sale rack ‘just coz’. When you gather a pile of unwanted clothes, the usual response these days, is to drop them at the op shop, or shove them in …Read More
Ethical fashion. If you say these two words to someone when you first meet, you’re likely to be given back a blank stare and raised eyebrows. Huh? The average person will think of slaves, child labour, and sweat shop factories they’ve seen glimpses of on the news. These are valid points in the discussion of …Read More
It is our dream for the term ‘ethical fashion’ to cease to exist. Excuse me?! That’s right; ethical fashion should be fashion. No ‘ethical’ needed; treating a person with respect, and protecting our environment, should be explanatory …Read More
Talking about ethical fashion is hard. When you begin discussing the topic with someone who hasn’t heard of issues in the fashion industry, there’s a point in the conversation when they realise; the problem is them. They are the consumer, they are wearing clothes made …Read More
Meet Megan and Gab, they’re from Melbourne and they’ve set out to uncover positive fashion stories in and around South East Asia. They’re not uncovering them using your usual modes of transport however, these two have decided their walking the whole way - a whole 3500 kilometres.